What we mentioned this week:
- Wool on Wolves are heading out on a cross Canada tour in support of their new record Measures of Progress. Playing in Edmonton on November 23rd at the Starlite Room! Other dates here. New Wool on Wolves Video – Midnight Avenue
- Edmonton Opera & Tapestry New Opera present
November 15 – 18th at La Cite Francophone Theatre.
This the first time ever the contemporary opera has been performed, and it’s a joint effort between Edmonton Opera and Toronto’s Tapestry New Opera. Schedule & Tickets here!
Lisa went to see the dress rehearsal yesterday and was amazed at the concept of contemporary Opera. If you’re looking for a new opera experience, here’s your chance! Get your tickets!
- Backyard Betties @ the Bluechair Café $10 8:30pm
- Dawn Tyler Watson @ the Yardbird Suite $24 8pm
- The Flash Jam at the Pawnshop $10 in advance, 8pm E-TICKETS
- March Music presents Kayla Patrick & Olivia Rose Leaf @ Cha Island 7pm No Cover!
- JCL Productions presents Amelia Curran & Joe Nolan @ the Royal Alberta Museum Theatre $15 in advance, $20 @ the door 7:30pm E-TICKETS
- Jenny Allen & Leslie Alexander at the Northern Lights Folk Club $18 in advance, $22 at the door. Queen Alexandria Hall. Doors open at 7pm, music at 8pm. Tickets at Tix on the Square
Painting With Ella is an Edmonton-based acoustic folk group made up of Emily Guthrie, Robyn Newman-Wilson and Jaclyn Turville. Their music incorporates many different styles including rudiments of jazz. Their vocal harmony emphasis and less-is-more musicality are their signature elements. Their close friendship, which developed during their years attending Edmonton’s Victoria School of the Arts, has allowed them an intimacy as musicians that has resulted in the creation of a sound unique to their group.
All Painting With Ella songs are original compositions, and each member of the group is a recognized songwriter. The band reached the finals in the Calgary Folk Music Festival’s songwriting contest (youth category) two years in a row, winning 3rd Place for “San Francisco” in 2009 and a Judges Discretionary Prize for “Carnivale”, Best Performance for “Last Remark” and 1st Place for “Daughters” in 2010. The 1st place win included the privilege of playing the “And the Winners Are…” workshop at the 2010 Calgary Folk Music Festival. This experience led to Painting With Ella playing the 2011 Calgary Folk Music Festival as part of the year’s regular artist line-up.
Painting with Ella has also played on the stages of the Winspear Centre for Music and the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium. And, the band has performed at The Works Art and Design Festival, NextFest, Heart of the City Arts Festival, Kaleidoscope Family Arts Festival, Homefest and the Deep Freeze Festival, as well as a sold out Hanna Front Row Centre Arts Council event.
In September 2010, the band received a generous grant from the Edmonton Arts Council and spent the last year recording their first full-length studio album at Crowtown Studios with Dale Ladouceur and Bill Hobson in Edmonton, where they also recorded their EP, Whisper the Wills, in 2009. Painting With Ella is releasing their album “One Lost Kite” in November 2011.
UPCOMING SHOW – Opening for James Dark Wood EP Release on November 22nd (not today, please forgive Lisa’s pregnant brain in the podcast!) at the Artery, 7pm $10. E-TICKETS